Local Flours

 The bread above is made with 100% flour from Carolina Ground(75 bread).





The ideal type of flour to be used in artisan bread should be  as fresh as one can get. I'm very fortunate to have local flours readily available to me. My regular source of flour is from Lindley Mills Inc, and they sell organic flour sourced locally here, in North Carolina

I had never heard of Carolina Flour until I went to the Asheville Artisan Bread Festival and saw their neat little stand with several types of flour for sale. Later that day we met Jennifer Lapidus in Lionel Vatinet's class, and she explained a little bit about the mill and the flours. Most of the classes I took during the festival used Carolina Ground Flour, and I was very interested in trying it. It was exciting new local source of flour for me. 

So,at the end of my bread journey in Asheville I was given by Jenifer Lapidus a bag of Carolina Ground flour to try. 

I wanted to make a bread using only this flour so that I could really taste it. I made this recipe that worked out beautifully and the bread had this unique taste of wheat that surprised me. It turned out great with large holes and a delicious crust. I have asked my local health store providers to sell it here where I live. Hopefully I will be able to use this flour more often.

Here is the recipe:

40g of Levain
85g of Water (80ºF)
85g of Carolina Ground 75 Bread flour

Final dough:

350g of Water (80ºF)
450g of Carolina Ground 75 Bread flour
210g of Levain
  8g of Salt 

Below: right shows levain (that was ripened overnight), and left is 30 minutes autolysed water and flour.


Bellow: Levain, autolysed ingredients and salt ingredients ready to be mixed up.



Below is the dough fully fermented and ready to be shaped:

Below is the pre-shaped dough



Dough in basket to proof:





Dough ready to be scored and baked:



And here is the final product:






Conclusion: Great flour, really fresh and wonderful bread

EAT BREAD WITH ME!
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment